Knott Blog

Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dark Side, The Moon

"Don't you know that I'm still standing, better than I ever did, looking like a true survivor and feeling like a little kid..." - Elton John

Thursday, July 08, 2004

Speaking Out

The other day, I read a pretty good blog, good enough that I actually thought about it quite a bit over the next few days. And now, I'm even gonna blog about it.
The post (which I don't want to link to) was in a blog written by what I'm guessing is a fairly young lady. She didn't go into a lot of details, but she said that she felt her blog was fairly private, and that she wrote something that expressed feelings that she held very deeply about someone else in one of the posts. She was then very taken aback when she found out that someone she knew only at the casual acquaintance level had not only read her blog, but had managed to guess the identity of the person she'd blogged her heart out about. This acquaintance then went on to use this information to cause the young lady some very real grief. She didn't specify what kind, either, but she painted in enough of the details that anyone could fill in the missing spaces out of their own lives.
Now, this bothered me, but I couldn't put my finger on why at first. It took a long time, and consideration, but then in the car on the way to work one morning, I heard a song that tied it all together for me. It was an oldie, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John. I listened to that one way back in fifth grade, man. Eons ago, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and yada yada yada. Music often makes a point for me that I can't quite express (at least not as succinctly or poetically) in my own words. Isn't it that way for everyone? Anyway, the bit that got me was the line,
...sweet freedom whispered in my ear
you are a butterfly
and butterflies are free to fly
fly away, high away, bye bye

Boom, just like that, I got it. This young lady told the truth as she knew it, and it hurt her. But her blog was good, it was real. It made me realize that I want to write the truth, and just let it spill out where it may. I want to be free, and if it hurts me, at least I'm hurt and free, instead of all chained up inside my head and miserable.
Besides, nobody ever reads what I write here, right?