Knott Blog

Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dark Side, The Moon

"Don't you know that I'm still standing, better than I ever did, looking like a true survivor and feeling like a little kid..." - Elton John

Sunday, June 20, 2004

Lazy Sunday Afternoon

Well, as lazy as anything can be when you have to spend part of the day working. C'est La Vie, I guess.
You know, lately I cannot get past the way employers treat their workers. I work in a rather intense academic environment during the week, and I freely confess that I currently hate it. I suppose you could call my position a "pink collar" job, in that ten or twenty years ago it would much more likely be a position filled by a woman than a man. Still, I don't think that's a very good reason for the rather poisonous atmosphere that pervades the entire office where I work, as I am the only man in my position (as compared to the other five women). Let me tell you, those ladies are not giving up one inch of ground gracefully; they've made it their business to really make my job harder, and mostly because they think I'm being paid better (from what they've said, I am, too) and that I have a better chance of being promoted (which recent events have proven resoundingly NOT true). Let me be the first to say, an integrated work force has not proven to be an asset to that school.
But then I go to my weekend job, and it's actually fun to go to. I work in a plastics factory on the weekends, and I must confess that I really enjoy it. The atmosphere and attitude are so much friendlier and looser that I find myself looking forward to arriving there during the long and arduous hours at my other job. It's an integrated work force there, too, but it has been a great boon to that shop, because it actually makes it so much more bearable to work there.
If I had a point here, I guess it would be that gender and class are still defining the limits and liabilities of the work force today. It's pretty much the same as it was before the labor unions and workers' rights, and it probably always will be the same. Just one more reason why it sucks to be poor in America today.
Okay, I'm done ranting for now. I'm gonna go take some more pictures of my kids with my digital camera, and try to enjoy what's left of father's day.
Have a happy!